You Deserve Better Access
to Quality Eye Care
Your Doctors of Optometry
Nebraska’s largest eye care profession includes more than 330 Doctors of Optometry serving in more than 80 communities across the state.
As primary eye care providers, Doctors of Optometry are trained to examine, diagnose, treat and manage disorders that affect the eye or vision. They are an integral part of the health care team, earning their doctoral degree just as dentists, podiatrists and other doctors do. Optometry is one of the only doctoral-level health care professions to require continuing education.
More Helpful Information
What is an optometrist?
Optometrists (Doctors of Optometry) are primary health care providers who examine, diagnose, treat and manage diseases and disorders of the eye and visual system. They are the leading providers of lifetime vision care with a full range of prescriptive authority related to vision conditions and eye diseases. There are over 350 licensed optometrists in Nebraska, practicing in more than half of Nebraska’s counties. Optometrists provide access to primary eye care for the majority of the state’s population.
Doctors of optometry do so much more than simply prescribe glasses and contacts. Optometrists are the primary health care providers who examine, diagnose, treat and manage diseases and disorders of the visual system, the eye and associated structures as well as diagnose related systemic conditions.
- Detect and diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, retinal disorders, lid disorders, and infections such as conjunctivitis
- Prescribe drugs to treat eye diseases
- Evaluate and treat vision conditions such as near-sightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia
- Perform minor procedures such as removing foreign objects from the eye
- Provide pre- and post-operative care, especially for glaucoma; laser surgery, refractive, and cataract patients
- Evaluate vision acuity (refraction) and prescribe corrective lenses or devices
- Provide vision therapy and low vision rehabilitation services